Thursday 22 January 2009

I will never be a reviewer

So last night I went and got all culturated with Miss Jimmy.

She had free tickets to see Madama Butterfly at the Opera House and I was her hot date for the evening.

It was just stunning.

The simple and elegant set design of a wooden platform surrounded by water with three bridges leading onto it, the screens that raised and lowered, the use of a star and moon backdrop that you see twice. It was all so restrained. I loved it.

Dad was very big on opera and classical music. This is what I grew up listening to. Actually seeing it on stage, and so beautifully done, is utterly fabulous.

One of the reasons I think I like theatre is it's all so visual. The cleverness of lighting and costumes, when done well, can create images that provoke such emotion in me.

No comments: