Wednesday 13 January 2010

It's finally ended

After nearly 4 1/2 years, I'm about to return to full-time work.

I found a childcare place down the road from us that has a spot for Torby on Thursdays and Fridays.
He'll still go to the lovely A's for Monday to Wednesday (oh the tears when he goes to school next year and leaves A's. He's been going there since he was 6mths old. *sniff*)

So I saw the preschool place yesterday and they confirmed they had a spot for him.
This morning I asked my big boss if he wanted me back fulltime and he practically hugged me. I also mentioned that if I had to look at the same spreadsheets and deal with the same data that I'd been doing for the past 4years anymore, I might go insane.
I called the preschool again to make sure they hadn't changed their mind and also lined up an appt on Friday to drop him off for a few hours so he can get used to the place.
I was informed this afternoon that I would be trained in a new role so I could relieve in it when needed.
Yay for new things to learn and do. Even if it will only be for part-time for now.
Yay for more opportunities to do interesting work.
Yay for more money (well a return to my FT pay and a few more opportunities for Higher Duties i.e extra money and responsibility)
Yay for Torbyboy interacting with more kids and more adults and a different care structure.

Boo for not having our 2days together at home.
Boo for an end to our weekly date with Megzz for coffee and bisskits
Boo for me having to work 5 days a week.
Boo for getting up at 5:30 every weekday (although, I guess, Yay for being able to start work at 7 and leave at 3 if I choose)
Boo for not getting to involve my son so much in my day-to-day life

All up, it'll be worth it and given that I was all excited and bouncy today when it all fell into place, it's a good decision. It will be good for all of us seperately and as a family.
Please remind me of this in a few weeks time.

thanks

4 comments:

Impish said...

Doom!

No, wait... Yay!

Mindy said...

Yay for having choices. You can always chuck a sickie if you need a coffee day with Megzz. I hope Torby likes the new kinder. Is he likely to be going to school with any of the kids from there?

anti ob said...

Funny... just the other day it randomly occurred to me that this must be about to happen to you folks soon, and there it is. Glad to hear its a thing to be excited about!

Katrijn said...

Yay, and hugs, and although the road may have a few pot holes from time to time, I am sure you will all survive and it will be worthwhile! I have been working full time (with 3 kids) for the past 11.5 years (I only got to spend 6 months with Gryffen at home). Yes there are days it will suck but I am sure it will be worthwhile!!!